Unit 2, 24 Cheap Street, Sherborne
Dorset DT9 3PX
Britten's “Old Clocks & Watches and Their Makers” shows Charles Pallant as working from 29 Backchurch Lane, London, from 1864 – 1871.
This splendid example of a mid-Victorian bracket clock, has a substantial 8-day, twin fusee, rack striking movement sounding the hours on a bell, and with pull repeat work. It is housed in a mahogany case with flame mahogany veneers and applied carvings, and stands 17 ½” from its shallow wooden pad feet to the highest point of its serpentine top. The rear door has a silk-backed, fretted wooden panel.
A cast brass bezel with convex glass overlies a silvered sight ring surrounding the flat, 7½” diameter, painted dial with roman numerals, featuring an unusual “loop” style of lacquered, hand-cut, brass hands.
Click here to request more information about this clock.
Please click the images for larger views.