Unit 2, 24 Cheap Street, Sherborne
Dorset DT9 3PX
William F. Evans of Handsworth, Birmingham, produced his first skeleton clock based on Edinburgh's famous Scott monument, in 1850, and displayed it at the “Great Exhibition” in London the following year. It proved to be such a hit, that he began producing them in quantity shortly thereafter. Although the original had a two-train movement striking on a gong, and had a balance wheel, the production models used varying combinations of trains (striking or timepiece) and controllers(pendulum or balance wheel). This particular model, from around 1860, has a single train, chain fusee movement, with well finished six-spoked wheels throughout, mounted between polished and lacquered brass plates, and has an anchor escapement, with a cylindrical brass pendulum bob fitted to an ebony rod. To the front of the movement sits Sir Walter Scott and his dog. The height to the top of the glass dome is 18½”.
Click here to request more information about this clock.
Please click the images for larger views.